Silverlight 4 (w/Prism) calling WCF questions

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 3
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Hi

I'm in the learning process with Visual Studio 2010 Silverlight 4 and Prism. I want to create a simple Silverlight Client using Prism and I want to access a simple WCF service.

I have read quite many  articles and forum posts and get only more confused. The answers to my questions may depend on the version of Silverlight I use but here goes:

1) To call a WCF service from Silverlight it must use the Async Pattern?

2) Is it possible to call a WCF service using SOAP or do you have to use a RESTful service only?

3) Do I have to use the ClienAccessPolicy.xml file in both SL2, SL3 and SL4? Or is this handle different in SL 4?

I think I'll start with this questions and continue to search the web for answers.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Hi

I’ll try to address your questions separately. However, take into account that as this question are not Prism specific and you might get a more complete answer in the Silverlight forums.

1. Yes, al Web service calls in Silverlight are asynchronous. You can read more about that here.
  2. You can read about Silverlight 4 and SOAP services here.
  3. To make a service available across domain boundaries you have to follow this process.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for your answers. I'm working with Prism and SL on my sparetime so I'm a bit slow on responding.

I can see that my questions are a bit more general, but here is a question related to Prism and the use of WCF services: When using the container is it possible to handle the lifetime of the service?

Is there any good documentation on handling service lifetime in Prism?

Thanks again for your patience!