Is there an overlap/common area between Prism 4 & 2?

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Jun 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hi;

As the new drop is out and I'm looking forward to this new version and I'm not knowledgeable on the Prism 2, my question is to learn prism 4, are there parts that are common or share with Prism 2 that we need to learn first or is Prism 4 a new start that we don't need to go and dig into Prism 2?

Thank you in advance!

..Ben

Developer
Jun 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hi Ben,

Although the implementation for some features will change, and new capabilities will be added in Prism v4, most of the concepts in the Prism documentation will still be valid, as the main idea remains the same. That is, Prism v4 will address mostly the same scenarios that Prism v2, the development of flexible composite client applications (applications that are composed of loosely coupled modular pieces that work together in the overall application), as described in this article.

You can check this blog post by the Patterns & Practices Client Team to see the main features that will be introduced in Prism v4.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Hi Guido; From reading your post, is it fair to say if we could use today's Prism 2 as a base of development, and then we can easily port it over to Prism 4? or do you suggest we start with Prism 4? Now that development has begun, is there a set date for Beta or RC? Thanks! ..Ben
Developer
Jun 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hi Ben,

As of today, the main difference that could impact your migration is the inclusion of MEF. So the difficulty of that task might depend on whether you want to adopt it or stay with Unity.

However, there might be new features and changes as the development continues, since it is iterational. The extent of your migration efforts will depend mostly on how many of these new features from Prism v4 you are going to include in your application. Perhaps you could find this thread useful.

Another possibility, as you mentioned, is to start developing with Prism v4. Take into account that Prism v4 is currently in alpha state, and if you chose to do so, you would have to adapt your application as new drops appear.

As for the dates, there won’t be a Beta or RC. Instead, there will be biweekly drops that will be released in Codeplex. You can download the first drop here. Additionally, there is an estimated release date in the blog post I mentioned.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi