Prism Applications inside Prism applications

Topics: Prism v2 - WPF 3.5
Jun 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I am currently scoping out some future development and was curious if it is possible to assign the shell of another prism app to a region.

We currently have one project that is good candidate for prism and would like to develop that in the short term.

In the longer term we may wish to group all our different apps (some trivial some not) under a single prism application including the previous project that is already a prism project.

Is it a matter of just treating the old prism app as a module and the shell as a view ? or will the two conflict with event aggregator and region manger instances ? Is it better to just extend the original prism app to accommodate the additional functionality ?

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hi,

I do not know the exact implementation of your shell views, but I think that this is something possible. Anyway, you would have to modify your code, as you supposed. However, it shouldn’t be to hard, so you could perform the following high-level steps in order to achieve this scenario:

1. Create a new Class Library project. This is why the Shell window is contained by a Windows Application project type.
  2. Add an class that implements IModule to this new project for initializing it as a module.
  3. Add the views (shell) to the new project.
  4. Change the Shell xaml code from window to user control.
  5. Migrate the logic in the old bootstraper to the new one.

On the other hand, as another possibility, other users have multiple shell applications, so you could check for more information in the following links:

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero