Upgrade instructions from v2.1 to v2.2

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 4
Jul 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I need to upgrade my existing Silverlight 3 Prism v2.1 application to Prism v2.2. I have downloaded the source and built the assemblies for Prism v2.2.

My problem is that the new assemblies do not map one-to-one to the old v2.1 assemblies (for example, v2.2 doesn't contain a  Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.dll) and I have not found a comprehensive set of instructions for making the upgrade from v2.1 to v2.2. Consequently, I am not sure what assemblies/references to replace in my v2.1 to complete the upgrade.

If anyone knows of documentation or details that could provide some guidance it would be helpful, thanks.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Hi,

First of all take into account that the product team is working on Prism v4, so you could download the latest version from here.

Regarding to your question, there is no guidance on this topic in Prism v2.2 out-of-the-box. But you need to install all System Requirements listed on the readme.txt which is part of Prism 2.2.

As the documentation says that this is a minor update of Prism, which allows you to use Silverlight 4.

A possible scenario is that if you change your existent project to target SL4, you will receive the following error when you open project in Visual Studio:

Unable to read the project file: The imported project “C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Silverlight.CSharp.targets” was not found. Confirm that the path in the <import> declaration is correct, …

Therefore, you should modify the <Import> path in the project files (files ending with*.csproj) to point to the Silverlight 4 installation path. For example:

<Import Project=”$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\Silverlight\v4.0\Microsoft.Silverlight.CSharp.targets)

Then you should reference the new assemblies in that release. A part from this, it should not represent any other inconvenient when migrating from the previous version.

If you need guidance on what assemblies are required, you could check the references of the Stock Trader Reference Implementation.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Thank you for the reply. It was actually a painless operation. I was able to just replace the existing assemblies (with the exception of one which had it's name changed), and then have my solution target .NET 4.0.

I will need to research more about the change to v4, as we plan on migrating to that version of Prism when the code drop is RTM quality

Rich

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Hi Rich,

Nice to see that you plan to migrate to Prism v4. As you mentioned that you are waiting for the RTM version, you can find helpful the following link:

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero