Prism 4 - MVVM RI Build errors

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Jul 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM

MVVM RI gives me the following message on build. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong and how I can correct this.

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'Moq' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Downloads\A - Prism\Prism 4 drop 4\MVVM RI\MVVM.Client.Tests\ViewModels\SubmitErrorViewModelFixture.cs    18    7    MVVM.Client.Tests

Warning    7    Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Moq.Silverlight". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.    MVVM.Questionnaires.Tests

Where can I get the needed assembly from?

Thanks,

Richard

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:34 AM
RichardAlan wrote:

MVVM RI gives me the following message on build. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong and how I can correct this.

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'Moq' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Downloads\A - Prism\Prism 4 drop 4\MVVM RI\MVVM.Client.Tests\ViewModels\SubmitErrorViewModelFixture.cs    18    7    MVVM.Client.Tests

Warning    7    Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Moq.Silverlight". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.    MVVM.Questionnaires.Tests

Where can I get the needed assembly from?

Thanks,

Richard

Okay I found the solution by checking the readme.txt in the /lib/silverlight/moq folder. Might be a good idea to put this info in some other places so it's easy to find.

"Some of the tests use Moq which can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/moq/

The Moq.dll must be placed in this folder."

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I'm glad you figured it out.  For future reference, we have all the system requirements listed in the README.TXT in the root folder, including download urls.

Where else would you recommend we put this info?  A readme that is part of the solution? Somewhere else?

Thanks,

Michael Puleio

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM

This information really needs to go in the Prism.chm file. New users are likely to go straight to the "Getting Started" section which tells them to run a batch file which opens a Visual Studio 2010 solution and the reader is told to build PRISM before they do anything else. When they immediately hit the Moq errors before even starting the "Hello World" quickstart that follows the initial impression given is not good.  If you tell them at this point that they will need to download Moq or remove the tests before attempting the build that will be more helpful than burying it in a .txt file somewhere else. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

We'll look at updating the Getting Started section in the CHM as well as making the readme.txt more prominent.

Thanks for the feedback.