Use of the term Module

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Aug 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I think the terminology used in the current code samples and documentation is confusing. Most of the diagrams and text seem to describe the term module in terms of a deployable unit of code.  The main introductory chapter pretty much defines a module as comprising multiple components such as Views, ViewModels, Controllers and Services. 

However the source code tends to then define the module Controller as a class called "Module" and the interface such a controller implements is called IModule. This has lead to much confusion on the team I'm currently working on when discusssion around "modules" is assumed to be about the controller by those who haven't read the documentation and just looked at the code. I suspect the differences in use of the term "module" will lead to similar confusion with others. Wouldn't it be better to call the interface IModuleController rather than IModule, and to rename the concrete implementations of these classes provided as source to more accurately reflect the fact that they're controllers rather than modules?  There's enough confusion around modules vs services already without adding to the confusion by calling controllers "modules"! 

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback since this is valuable for the prism product team. I will copy this as a work-item, so the community could vote this and the team could consider this in the scope of future drops.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:01 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.