WPF Examples...

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Sep 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Are ya'll going to be doing any WPF examples cause starting to get the impression that there isn't a drive towards WPF as much as you have pushed for Silverlight development.  Some of the MVVM practices you are starting to code into Prism is targeted directly at Silverlight, prime example is "ChildWindow",  I can't use that code example since the childwindow control doesn't exist in WPF, it strictly Silverlight.  Starting to concern me since I am primarily a WPF developer at present haven't made the jump into RIA development yet.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Do you know I thought exactly the same thing.

I think they are really pushing silverlight now.I hope we are wrong as I am putting so much effort into wpf

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:40 AM

least I am not the only one thinking this...

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I will copy this as a work-item, so all the prism team will be notified about this. In addition, other users with the same interests could vote this.

First of all, take into account that there are not intentions in providing less WPF than Silverlight support in Prism v4. Even more, in Prism one of the main design concepts is Multi-Targeting which is meant to provide guidance for the both platforms using the same code-base. For more information about this, you could take a look at the following documentation section on MSDN:

Regarding to the ChildWindow, in some quickstarts there are some assets that are specifically created for Silverlight, but those should not be much complex to migrate to WPF.

On other words, you could find some things in the drops as you mentioned, since prism team could design some components for Silverlight. This is because, Silverlight codebase is subset of  WPF’s one. But this does not mean that the guidance will be more focused on Silverlight than in WPF, in the final release.

Thanks again for your feedback, since it is really valuable.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.