How to show a view at application startup

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Nov 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I have silverlight prism 4 application called MyApp which has MyApp.ModuleA.xap and MyApp.ModuleB.xap modules. MyApp itself isn't module (no class implementing IModule). So how can I show a view called LoginView (which is defined inside MyApp) after Shell.xaml is initialized (which has region called MainRegion content control)? 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I think you have some options:

1. Move LoginView to a module
    1. Module added to MyApp.xap
    2. Module added to ModuleA.xap or ModuleB.xap
    3. Module added to a newly created ModuleC.xap
  2. Register the view with MainRegion while overriding CreateShell within your Bootstrapper
  3. Register the view with MainRegion in Application_Startup after calling Run on your bootstrapper

I personally prefer any option that involves a module because modules give a structured and discoverable place to do that type of activity whereas the other options I mentioned would take some hunting to know that code was even there.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hi,

All options indicated above are possible approaches. Additionally, If you are using MEF, you could use the ViewExportAttribute class to decorate a particular view (LoginView). This attribute is part of the StockTrader Reference Implementation and allows you to indicate in which region the view will be registered. 

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero