Prism v4 w/ RIA & WCF Services

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Dec 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I am currently building a Proof of Concept to start using Prism in our LOB Silverlight applications.  This is due to the overal size of the applications we are required to build, so we need a more modular framework to help increase developer productivity.  In essence it is nice for the developers to be able to focus on a streamlined set of requirements focused around one "module" in the application.

I am having difficulty with 2 similar areas in setting up my POC.  So it is pretty much 2 questions.

1) I would like the modules to be pretty loosly coupled (of course) from the shell, so that a developer would just have some base guidlines (size of module, events to subscribe/publish, etc).  This means I would like the developer to be able to develop/use RIA services that are module specific.  However the issue I am seeing is with where I would actually HOST the RIA services so that the modules can actually be debugged in the Shell.  It doesn't seem like the developer would be able to have their own Host/Web project specific to the module, because then the RIA service wouldn't be associated with the Host/Web project that the shell is using.  So I guess the basic question would be, what is the best practice for Hosting/Using RIA services during module development?

2) This would pretty much be the same question, except related to WCF services that are pre-existing in our current SOA.  We have a large inventory of re-usable business services that I would like to be consumed (if needed) during module development.  However in my POC I'm having difficulty getting the Shell to correctly load the service references in the host project.  I'm simply building the module like I would any other, except adding a Service Reference and using the data contract as my "model".  However when loading the module in the Shell, I get tons of issue around it not finding the endpoints, etc.  Do you also have an example/guidance in this area?

Thanks!  So far I love what i'm seeing with Prism, it seems like a great framework!

Travis

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Hi,

Nice to see that you are considering to use Prism 4 in your LOB Silverlight Application. Prism is meant to be a guidance to help you on building composite application.

Regarding to your first question, there is no guidance on how to use RIA services in Prism out-of-the-box. But I think that you can find the following forum thread interesting: Prism - Silverlight WCF RIA Services - Authentication

If you need to use WCF Services in your Prism application, you could take a look at the following links:

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I found another good article (though for Prism v2) that provides a sample implementation. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dphill/archive/2009/08/17/prism-and-net-ria-services.aspx

Developer
Dec 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Hi Travis,

Thank you for sharing this with the community, since other users might find this helpful to further clarify this subject.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi