Unable to open sample projects for Prism 4

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Jun 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hi,

I am having problems with opening sample Prism projects that came with the Prism. I could open the HelloWorld QuickStart project but not some others. For example when I try to open BasicMVVMQuickStart solution, I get the following error.

"One or more projects in the Solution were not loaded correctly. Please See the Output Window for details".

The output window shows the following error

"The project type is not supported by this installation." 

I am using Visual C# Express to study the prism framework. Am I missing out something obvious. 

regards,

Nirvan.

Developer
Jun 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Hi Nirvan,

Based on the description of your problem, you could be missing some of the prerequisites for using Prism:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional, Premium, or Ultimate edition
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (installed with Visual Studio 2010)
  • Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010 (required for Silverlight development; includes the developer Silverlight runtime)
  • Optional tools:
    • Expression Blend 4
    • Windows Phone Developer Tools SDK (for development with the Windows Phone 7)

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Guido,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am using "Visual Studio 2010 Express edition", so that pre-requisite is what I am unable to meet. But I came across this documentation which clearly states in a note that "Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition can be used to develop Prism applications using the Prism Library." Here is the link to msdn "Install System Requirements". So, I guess I am missing out something else. My initial guess is that I am missing "Project Linker 2.2", but then how do I install the same. 

regards,

Nirvan.

Developer
Jun 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hi Nirvan,

You don't need to install the project linker in order for Prism to work.

One possible reason for the problem you're experiencing, based on my understanding of your scenario, is that you don't have the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010. That might be the reason why you can open the WPF HelloWorld QuickStart, but not the BasicMVVM QuickStart (which is only available in Silverlight).

Guido Leandro Maliandi

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Guido

I will try installing "Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010" as per your suggestion. 

thanks and regards,

Nirvan.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Guido,

Unfortunately, installing "Visual Web Developer 2010 Express" and "Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010" did not work. Any other suggestions ?

Nirvan.

Edit:

BasicMVVMQuickStart.sln opens successfully without any errors in Visual Web Developer 2010. The project doesn't open only in Visual C# 2010 Express. Unfortunately, I was working on WPF and not Silverlight so I needed the solution to open in Visual C#. 

regards,

Nirvan.

Developer
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Nirvan,

You should make sure that you have all the necessary Silverlight installations, so that you experience no problems when trying to open Silverlight projects.

For example, in our configuration we have:

• Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK
  • Microsoft Silverlight 4 Toolkit April 2010 (probably not needed)
  • Microsoft Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010

You could check this in the Programs and Features dialog in the Control Panel.

Guido Leandro Maliandi

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Guido,

I am able to open the project in "Visual Web Developer 2010". That is not the problem. The problem is that I am unable to open it in Visual C# 2010. Additionally, I have installed all the necessary Silverlight installations as listed in your post. 

I Thought of trying to open a different solution "MVVM RI.sln" from the "MVVM RI" directory. I get an additional error message stating "Solution folders are not supported in this version of application", in addition to the error message I posted in my question. I am really confused now as to how to get started with Prism.

regards,

Nirvan.

Developer
Jun 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Hi Nirvan,

The error message you're mentioning is happening because the Express versions of Visual Studio do not support solution folders.

You can read more about it in this thread from the Visual Studio Express Editions forums.

Although it should be possible to develop Prism applications using those versions, you might experience such errors due to features like solution folders used in some of the Prism samples.

Guido Leandro Maliandi

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Guido,

I believe that I won't be able to use those samples for studying prism, using Express editions. Thanks for all the help. In case you come across any workarounds (like converting projects to suit express versions, etc..) please let me know. Perhaps patterns and practices team might be able to come up with some suggestions.

regards,

Nirvan.