Road map of Prism

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM

We are seriously considering using Prism in our products. But we would like to implement our products on a stable (final) release version of Prism, so we don’t need to change our code every time a drop comes out.

Therefore it is very important to us to know when we could expect a release version.

Is there any announced road map of Prism, or anyone has a clue when a release version is expected?

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Similar situation here. I'm pushing my group real hard to use Prism and it looks like we will.  But I keep getting questioned about when will there be an "official" release or how often will we have to merge the latest drop into our app, etc.  If gblock could provide any info that would be great.
Jun 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM
While I certainly feel your pain, as the guy who gets to merge the new changes in when a new drop comes out, its not so bad.  At least the last two drops haven't been all that bad.  Just a few tweeks which took a few minutes too fix.  I'd say the code base seems to get more stable with each release.  Right now I'm comfortable having my team on it.
Jun 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Agreed, the last couple drops have not been bad.  My comment was more about trying to get some "official" roadmap info I can present to my colleagues and superiors to make them more comfortable with using Prism as the basis for our product. 
Jun 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Same situation here. We are starting an Enterprise Desktop Application, an high level project for our customer, in WPF. We'd like to use Prism, but we need a certain grade of "stability" in the realeses, we cannot afford weekly modifications/updates. Prism is really an interesting develop pattern, and we won't to miss the chance.
Jun 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Obviously the road map of composite WPF (Prism) should be remaining unknown to us who planned to use it; otherwise you should expect to get some response from P&P.

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:52 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2008 at 3:55 AM
Sorry guys. I've been out of pocket at Tech-Ed followed by vacation since before this post was first put up. Prism v1 will be shipping the end of next week. I will plan to do a post on this next week. The drop will include the RI, the Composite Application Library, at least 6 quickstarts, along with fairly comprehensive documentation. You won't see any signficant changes between now and next week other than critical bug fixes and some light refactoring.

This is just a v1, and we are looking into a v2. We are also looking into the possiblity of an official Silverlight version.

As far as features in V2, here are some common requests we've heard.

1. Some kind of facility for navigating views in a composite. (we've heard this request again and gain)
2. Some light scaffolding to help you get going (not necessarily GAT/GAX)
3. Guidance for menuing and toolbars with commands proffered up from modules
4. More exploration down the path of using ViewModels for composition.

We are also looking into possibly doing some specific guidance on building Occasionally Connected Clients. This would not necessarily be a part of Prism but would certainly be guidance applicable for composites.As far as the when, that has not been finalized yet.

We'd love to hear your feedback on what you'd like to see. Please add workitems with your suggestions to the Issue Tracker so that others can vote.

Hope this helps clear the haze a little.
Jun 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Glenn,

You mentioned an "official Silverlight version", is there an unnofficial version or something similar for SL?

About OCC, MCSF and SCSF has something on this topic. Building an external block that could be shared between SC and CompositeWPF would be a great idea. I have not use it on SCSF (just in Mobile) but the Disconnected Service Agent could be a good start and can probably be integrated with Prism, right?

Please let me know if you have more information about Silverlight and Composite Applications.

Thanks
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:54 AM
Hi guys, just to let you know that we have been spiking around the migration of the Composite Application Library to Silverlight and that we have published yesterday the results. You can download the spike by getting the latest change set of the source control.
You might find useful the following posts about the migration:

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Please let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://blogs.southworks.net/ejadib

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:18 AM
Ezequiel,

These are great news!!!
I'll give you our feedback...

Thanks