Same Name Assemblies

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM
What if I have different developers in different departments developing for my composite application and they both create an assembly with the same name?  For example: they both create a DAL.dll.  From what I understand only the name and type are checked.  If two modules have the same name the application dies.  Is there a way to load same named assemblies currently or do we need to make modifications to the framework in order to look at say, a public key on the assembly?
Jul 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Hi Lawndart6,

There is no way you can load two assemblies with the same name and type name. You could modify the framework to support checking the public key, but I wouldn't advise you to do so.
The reason why you shouldn't do this is because you can't tell the modules physically apart from each other. This may cause problems for others who have to work with the module. Also you can't place them in the same directory because the filename is most likely also the same.

My advice is to change the naming of the assemblies or merge the contents if the assemblies provide the same functionality.