Prism and CAB/SCSF

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:16 AM
Hi All,

I have been working with CAB/SCSF for the last 6 months and I have started working on CAB/SCSF with WPF Extension.

I heard that Microsoft Prism (Composite WPF) is better option to start developing composite applications in WPF.

"Can somebody plz. let me know why should I go for Prism rather than CAB/SCSF for WPF applications?" I have also read that when we use CAB/SCSF for WPF; we are not able to utilize all WPF features in application. "what are the features of WPF not supported while developing application using CAB/SCSF in WPF?"

-h
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM
CompositeWPF is specifically designed for WPF applications while SCSF is not. One of the things that SCSF and CAB rely on is a rich drag-and-drop windows forms designer. WPF doesn't have this kind of support and relies mostly on XAML and codebehind. Also it's important to note that Microsoft has learned a lot from the previous implementations done in SCSF and CAB and CompositeWPF contains a lot of improvements compared to the other frameworks.

If you plan on migrating I can recommend looking at the WPF extensions of CAB/SCSF. If you are starting from scratch and want to use WPF I can recommend using CompositeWPF. Migrating from CAB/SCSF to CompositeWPF is doable, but can take more time.
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:41 AM
Hi WMeints,

Thanks for your reply but I would like to know about the features, not supported while developing WPF composite application using CAB/SCSF.

-H