ViewModelLocator

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Feb 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Being new to WPF and Prism I wanted to get some advice on the best way to implement ModelViewLocator in order to get blendability. Currently I am converting a WinForms application to WPF using Prism and have the basic skeleton of the application completed. My application has four regions, treeViewRegion (for selecting a view), mainRegion (where the view gets injected), a menuBarRegion, and a ToolBarRegion. Each mainView inserts itself into the list in the treeviewRegion and also inserts it’s own menuView and toolBarView into the appropriate regions. I started to learn Blend so I wanted to know if there is a way to see all regions in design mode. I was reading about MEFedMVVM, MVVMLight, ViewModelSupport by Brian Fenisio, and a number of blendability articles by Tomer Shamam. I want to know what the best path to implement this is and if I will be able to see all regions during design time.

Developer
Feb 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Hi,

Regarding the subject of reviewing the UI composition of a composite application at design time, I believe you might find the following section of the Prism documentation useful:

Regards,

Damian Cherubini
http://blogs.southworks.net/dcherubini

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM

How do you get views inserted in regions during desing time?  I look at the StockTrader RI in Blend 4.0 and when I open Shell.xaml all the regions are empty.  Is it possible to inject views into regions during design time?

John Fraschilla

Developer
Feb 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Hi John,

As far as I know, Prism does not provide support for the feature you mentioned above as out of the box. Based on my understanding, this is mainly because there is no "predefined" view for an specific region.

However, I believe you might find the following articles by Tomer Shamam about blendability and Prism useful:

I hope you find this useful,

Damian Cherubini
http://blogs.southworks.net/dcherubini