Where is the guidance?

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM
Hi all,

When I worked with WCSF there was a guidance provided in the Visual Studio (which could be enabled/disabled through the Tools --> Guidance Package Manager).
This was very useful for adding Views etc. You just had to right-click on the project and you could select: "Add view with presenter" etc.

This guidance is missing in the CompositeWPF (or I'm missing something or my installation went wrong).
Do I really have to manually add the view-interface and the presenter each time I add a new View to a Module??

Does anyone have more information about this?
Like, is there any guidance yet?
Is the guidance still in development?
Is there something wrong with my installation?

Big thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me!!
Kind regards,
Wim
Sep 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Having worked with the Smart Client Software Factory (SCSF) and Web Client Software factory (WCSF) I also was looking for the guidance recipes to create my Project, Business/Infrastructure modules, views, etc (code generator for those not familiar with recipes) .  What I found was the "Development Activities" section in the Documentation that provided relatively simple steps (few lines of code) to get a CompositeWPF application up and running.

I havn't heard anything about Guidance Recipes for the CompositeWPF, I just assumed that because of the two different patterns (Supervising Controller MVP and Presentation Model) as well as the fact that within XAML sometimes you don't even need code, e.g., RSS feed viewer that it wasn't practical.... 

If you're interested... I'm taking the MPV route; I've created an infrastructure taking the best of what I learned SCSF as well as features I really like about WCSF, i.e., a default Controller in addition to the Presenter.   In my http://www.CodePlex.com/SDMS project I have a MainShell where all one has to do is set a reference to their specific module / application and its work is done.   In the case of the current Change Set (source code) it has a reference to the RSSFeed module as well as SDMSMain application - SDMSMain contains the main layout which is loaded in the MainShell;  RSSFeed is a "On-Demand" module that isn't loaded until Tools | Options is selected as shown in the above RSS feed viewer link.  

You'll find I'm moving as much code as possible into the base classes, e.g., PresenterBase so that I can create new modules / views with minimal coding.   Perhaps when the infrastructure is done I'll create a guidance package to support it....
Sep 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Hi

The Composite Application Guidance for WPF - June 2008 release was not shipped with a guidance package. Feel free to suggest that feature in the Issue Tracker and it might be taken into account for future releases.

I believe the idea behind CompositeWPF not shipping a guidance package is to allow the class library to mature, and get feedback from the community, before starting to add tooling that may hide defects in the API or may bias the way that the library could be used (for example by embracing a particular UI pattern) and so on. They constantly pushed for the “Simple first” approach while designing the API, in order to avoid the need for tooling in the first place.

Perhaps you may find useful the Visual Studio templates available in the source code of the CompositeWPFContrib project:

·         Download the last change set of the CompositeWPFContrib source code.

·         Visual Studio Templates

Please, let me know if it helps.

Mariano Converti

http://blogs.southworks.net/mconverti