PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs

Topics: Prism v4 - Silverlight 4
Apr 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hi there,

I'm just starting out with Prism, MVVM and would like some help putting the code below into a MVVM viewmodel

I tried EventHandler and DelegateCommand but cant get anything to work, I pasted the code I had

Public Sub PivotCommand(sender As Object, e As PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs)
e.Commands.Add(New PivotViewerUICommand(CType(e.Item, Integer))) End Sub

and binding with

CommandsRequested="{Binding Path=GetPivotCommand}" 
Private m_Piv As EventHandler(Of PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs) Public Sub New() m_Piv = New EventHandler(Of PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs)(AddressOf PivotCommand) end sub Public Sub PivotCommand(sender As Object, e As PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs) e.Commands.Add(New PivotViewerUICommand(CType(e.Item, Integer))) End Sub

Public Property GetPivotCommand As EventHandler(Of PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs)
       Get
           Return m_Piv
       End Get
       Set(value As EventHandler(Of PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs))
           m_Piv = value
       End Set
End Property

Thanks
pqsik
Developer
Apr 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Hi,

If I am not mistaken you are trying to use a PivotViewerDefaultItemAdorner in you view and you want to handle the CommandsRequested event in your view model. Based on my understanding, it is not possible to define an event handler in the view model and create a binding to it from the view. As far as I know, you can only use bindings on DependencyProperties and the CommandsRequested is an event, not a property.

You can find more information about data bindings in the following article on MSDN:

A possible approach could be to use a "event to command" behavior (like the InvokeCommandAction provided in Expression Blend and Prism) that could handle the CommandsRequested event and invoke a command in the view model. However, it seems that you require to use the PivotViewerCommandsRequestedEventArgs arguments provided by the event, which cannot be passed to the command using the aforementioned behaviors as out of the box. Therefore, you might need to define your own "event to command" behavior for this scenario.

As a quick workaround, you might be able to wire this event and the view model's event handler manually in the view's code behind; however, take into account that this might not be a recommended practice when following the MVVM pattern.

Also, as this is not strictly related to Prism, but to the PivotViewer control, I believe you might find better support about this in the PivotViewer's Silverlight forums:

Regards,

Damian Cherubini
http://blogs.southworks.net/dcherubini

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I maybe able to have a prism command for a button in the ItemAdorner. looking into that

Thanks