Sharing user defined controls with other modules

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Hi all,

First, i'd like to say that i'm new with the base concepts of Prism (DI, Containers, ..). That being said, I would like to know what is the best way, using Prism, to share user defined controls with other modules. I obviously do not want to statically link a dll to each and every module composing my application. I was thinking of a module that will hold all of my controls but don't know exactly how to use such a module !

Thank you for your answers.
-jeff.
Nov 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Hi

To share a user control between different modules without having hard references between them you can do the following:

1.       Create a common Interfaces project to put the interface of your User Control. This project will be referenced by all the modules that want to use the User Control.

2.       Create a module that implements the interface of your User Control. Then, register in the container a type mapping between the interface and the concrete class implementation of your User Control as follows:

container.RegisterType<IMyUserControl, MyUserControl>();

3.       Define a module dependency from the modules that use the User Control to the one that implements it and registers the type mapping. If Module A has the interface and Module B will implement the view, you could write the following in case you were using the Configuration Module Enumerator.

<modules>

<module assemblyFile="Modules/ModuleB.dll" moduleType="ModuleB.ModuleB" moduleName="ModuleB">

<dependencies>

<dependency moduleName="ModuleA"/>

</dependencies>

</module>

</modules>

4.       Get an instance of the User Control using the container through the its interface as follows.

container.Resolve<IMyUserControl>();

The following articles give some more information about some of the topics mentioned above.

About type mapping:

·         Unity Application Block Methods

About module dependencies:

·         Using the Directory Lookup Module Enumerator

·         Using the Configuration Module Enumerator

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman

http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM
Thank you for taking the time to anwser me.
I started implementing your solution. And so far so good...

-jeff.