PRISM 4 + MVVM + WPF + InteractionRequest for Dialogs with details

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I am currently working on a project that is using PRISM 4 + MVVM in a WPF 4 application.  I have been reading up on InteractionRequest and there seems to be little information on how to implement it so that the dialog is a stylable user control and has textbox and other controls in it. 

What I am looking to do is have a listview that when a user selects an item it opens a dialog box where they can edit the details and either save or cancel.

Is this the correct approach with WPF?  Should I be doing something other than InteractionRequest?  I generally do web applications so WPF is a bit new to me.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Based on my understanding using Interaction Requests would be a recommended approach to interact with users in an MVVM based application, as it will allow you to preserve a clean separation of concerns, which might be difficult with other approaches. This is mainly because, when using Interaction Requests you can encapsulate the application's presentation logic in your view model while allowing the view to encapsulate the visual aspects of the interaction.

You can find more information about this in the following section of the documentation:

Also, as mentioned in this chapter, if you want to support custom interaction mechanisms you can defined you own custom triggers and actions. By default Prism only provides the InteractionRequestTrigger and PopupChildWindowAction implementations that can be used as a basis for the development of your own triggers and actions, this way you could create your own implementation in order to show custom popup views.

Additionally, for more information about using Interaction Requests and examples using custom implementations of this approach, I recommend you to check the following resources:

I hope you find this handy,

Agustin Adami