Implementing navigation

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating the Composite WPF guide for a new app and I don't have any experience with it beside playing around the quickstarts.

One thing I'm struggling with is figuring out a way to implementing navigation. I'd like to enable the user to get back to where he came from in the application. Depending on the action/button clicked, I would create a new entry in a navigation list to be able to get back to where the initial action occured (a kind of restore point). Just being able to go backward is required. I don't thing going forward would make sense in the context of that application.

Is it possible to implement this by pushing the the entire state of a region and pop it back ?

Or maybe navigating by firing a command and keeping a list of commands that causes the app to navigate and replaying those commands ?

What are your toughts ?

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:40 AM
Hi Simon,

Navigation can be quite the topic, so much that it takes a section in the Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed book by Adam Nathan (I strongly recommend this book).  On page 206 he talks about Navigation-based Windows Applications.  In a subsection "Navigating from Page to Page" he notes the following:

You can perform navigation in three main ways:

* Calling the Navigate Method
* Using Hyperlinks
* Using the Journal

You may want to google "NavigationWindow WPF" and the "NavigationService class WPF" in the absence of the book.