RegionAdapter..

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM
I have a hard time using Region....
In my Shell application I'm using DevComponent's Ribbon and DockPanel (http://www.devcomponents.com/dotnetbar-wpf).
I want to define some part of the app menu, docking area, ribbon as regions.

It look to me like an overtly complicated process....

I'm thinking to give up and just write a Shell Service that can load views (don't need to unload them).

I was wondering what you guy think about that?

(Maybe this is due to DockWindowGroup being bad ItemsController as in they only accept DockWindow as item.. nonetheless.. I have a problem where Region are more of liability than an advantage... and a UI Service will solve the problem nicely...)
Dec 19, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Hi Superlloyd,

Regions actually simplify what could become complicated processes.  I provide a blog, video demo and source code HERE

I'd be interested in knowing if the above mentioned controls take a simple process and make it more complicated - would be a nice to know before making the investment (my current contract has budgeted for a control library in the new year).

Bill
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:37 AM
Hi Billkrat!

Sorry for my late answer, I was taken by the holiday! :-)

Anyway, I dropped the RegionManager. From the vantage of my limited knowledge it seems to be too complicated to use for what I intend.
Instead I create a new UI service specific to my application. Works quite well save that I can't remove thing...
It tooks me about 50 line to have code to be able to add whatever I like dynamically, whereas it would have been a lot of custom RegionAdapter developement work with IRegionManager.... plus I'm still not clear on all its intricacy...
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:46 AM
No worries - I know how it is :)  Glad you got it worked out - thats what is important!
Bill