Modular Application using MVVM, Prism, WPF and MEF - Examples / Tutorials

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I am working on a modular application and have decided to restart and integrate Prism into what I'm trying to create instead of trying to re-create the wheel.

Requirements:

Easily Updated with new Functionality (UI / Services)
WPF & MVVM
Shared Library that houses common tasks / services
Ability to block access to DLL imports / methods based on AD groups
For example:

Regular User: Access to view, create, modify, special tool 1

Power User: Access to view, create, modify, delete, special tool 1, special tool 2

Should I go with a MVVM Framework such as MVVM Light or does Prism (v4) good enough support for MVVM for WPF (All examples I've seen use Silverlight) for a large scale application?

Are there some good resources out there? I've tried searching but mostly find people asking the same question from months / years ago. I've read most of the Developers Guide to Microsoft Prism but it doesn't have many examples and is more of an overview of how Prism works, and the examples it does have for MVVM are Silverlight based.

Are there books you'd recommend? I've looked at Building Enterprise Applications with WPF and MVVM but it doesn't have the best reviews and most people say its also pretty short when it comes to the code / details.
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Hi,

The new version released of Prism updated these Silverlight Quickstarts in order to show the functionality on WPF applications.
Prism 5 has some Quickstart samples that describe a WPF app implemented with MVVM pattern and using more Prism features like Navigation, InteractionRequestNotification and Modularity.

You may find the last Prism release (version 5) in the following link:

In order to run the Quickstarts, you would need to Build the Prism Library first. Then, some QuickStarts that may help you would be the following:

Based on my understanding, Prism v4 and v5 provide well support for the MVVM pattern on WPF as shown on Silverlight samples. The MVVM pattern would not be quite affected when implemented into these both project types.

I hope this helped you,
Regards.

Gabriel Ostrowsky
https://blogs.southworks.net/gostrowsky
May 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM
GOstrowsky wrote:
Hi,

The new version released of Prism updated these Silverlight Quickstarts in order to show the functionality on WPF applications.
Prism 5 has some Quickstart samples that describe a WPF app implemented with MVVM pattern and using more Prism features like Navigation, InteractionRequestNotification and Modularity.

You may find the last Prism release (version 5) in the following link:

In order to run the Quickstarts, you would need to Build the Prism Library first. Then, some QuickStarts that may help you would be the following:

Based on my understanding, Prism v4 and v5 provide well support for the MVVM pattern on WPF as shown on Silverlight samples. The MVVM pattern would not be quite affected when implemented into these both project types.

I hope this helped you,
Regards.

Gabriel Ostrowsky
https://blogs.southworks.net/gostrowsky
Thanks GOstrowsky , i tried the all prism examlples, and i found that the "View-Switching Navigation_Desktop" project is very useful in my case.
Thanks again.