Terribly Awesome Project...Some suggestions

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 2, Prism v2 - WPF 3.5
Apr 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM
Our team has recently started a medium/large sized application using Composite WPF and it's very hard to give constructive feedback when we like all of it so much!  Nothing short of beautiful witchcraft!

One suggestion I have though, is with the "Getting Started" tutorials, documentation and reference implementation samples. As simple as they all seemed after just a few hours of working with the libraries, they were all a huge instant turn off to anyone I showed it to that was not a level 61 BSG lovin' geek.  It surely wasn't there that anyone had an "ah, ha!" moment where understanding of Prism just "clicked".   But after watching the video tutorials (http://compositewpf.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Learn%20Prism), everything came together.  Fantastic eye opener!  It is analogous to those 80's movies, where there is a nerdy and unpopular girl in high school, but when she takes off her glasses, she's a prom queen.  So please, any new tutorials that you guys do, an accompanying video to go with it does wonders for lots of people.

Another suggestion, is we, and after searching the internet, and many others' biggest problem is generally handling Regions/Views and I don't think your samples get far enough in depth.  It can be difficult to figure out cases where an application needs pretty dynamic UI.  Take this for instance:  A shell with a a "MainView" IRegion that takes up the entire screen.  MainView may want to show a small splash animation exisiting in one module, then do a visual transition to a LoginView in another module.  When authenticated, LoginView transitions away and shows a Dashboard split up into many IRegions, which may show many views, like graphs and other boring business data.  We accomplished this with a custom ContentControl and a region adaptor to do the regions with transitions, but all this was, again, not very obvious.  So it would be great if there were a more advanced sample on advanced handling of Regions/Views.

Anyways, thanks again for the wonderful PnP library.  I don't think I'll ever WPF w/o it ;)

-Jeremiah Morrill