Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 2, Prism v2 - Silverlight 3
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I am new to Prism and reading through the guidance.

Before asking my question, while reading, I am trying to understand how the Prism is built by exploring the classes, seeing how each component interact with the other, etc ... Am I doing the right thing? Or shall I satisfy myself with only learning how to use the library?

I would like to ask about ObservableObject<T>. It wraps an object and derives from FrameworkElement and implements notification. It also contains a Value dependency property. Why do we have such an object? When do we use it? An example?

Thank you,

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM

In my opinion if you are starting with Prism, first you’ll need to drill down in a couple of concepts, reading Prism documentation, watching videos of experts and so on. If you think that this tip is useful for you, you may take a look the post: Learning Prism (Composite Application Guidance for WPF & Silverlight). How do I start?.

Take into account, the code is supposed to be used as guidance also, so you can update any of the code for your own scenarios .

That said, ObservableObject class is required, because in Silverlight, it's not possible to receive change notifications for Dependency properties that you do not own.

The EmployeesListView class makes use of this in the View Discovery Quickstart to hold the regioncontext for this view.

Also in the Stock Trader RI it’s being used to be able to access a command that is set on something else than your DataContext (a StaticResource which is updated after being created), as there is no RelativeBinding yet, to be able to access an ancestor's DataContext.

Fernando Antivero

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the reply!

Can you give me a concreate example on using ObservableObject? Receive change notification for DP that you dont own? How is that?

I would like to ask, is there a version of the View Discovery QuikStart using MVVM?