Who should own the AboutBox

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Hi,

I've finished my first prism wpf app and I'm now wondering how to efficiently hook in a menu item that launches a simple dialog showing version numbers etc.  It feels wasteful to create a Module/assembly just for an about box dialog.  Seems like this is something that should live with boot strapper, app.xaml, etc. 

I guess there is no reason I can't include a Module in my App.UI.Desktop project. 

Just thinkin' out loud here folks.

John

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Hi John,

There is not A right answer, but I hope the points I will raise below help. In this kind of situation, what you have to decide is how you are going to show the About Box. Is it going to simply be a UserControl with the same text every time is pops up,  will it depend on the context (use a ViewModel) or will it be invoked through a service? There are many different options, and you should take the one you feel best suits your application (and you).

If you decide to go with the simple dialog with no logic, I would place it in an common Infrastructure project. There is no need to create a module that you are not going to use right now, and if one is needed, eventually you can create one with no problem using Prism.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman