Silverlight & Services, Type Reuse in Prism App

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 3
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hi All,

I've used Prism a lot in WPF already but have just started on a Silverlight 3 app.

I have added a Silverlight enable WCF service to the hosting ASP.NET web site and got it all hooked up.  I have a data access module in the client application that I'll funnel all the client service requests through.  In a similar situation in WPF/WCF I would normally create a core library of domain objects that both the service and the client can share (type reuse).  However, so far attempting that in a Silverlight scenario has failed due to the different versions of the .NET framework the server and client run in.

If I create a domain library targetting Silverlight the service doesn't like it and vise versa.  So when a loose module needs to know about an auto generated type in the data access module it can't get at the internal objects becuase it can't be statically linked. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.  It would be so much simpler to just create a Core library of these and just statically reference the services core objects.

How can I create a simple library for the contracts that can also be shared accross the wire?  Any pointers on this would be great.