Is it worth to learn/use Composite WPF for single developer projects?

Topics: Prism v1, Prism v2 - Silverlight 2, Prism v2 - Silverlight 3, Prism v2 - WPF 3.5
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Hello,

I know there is not such thing like "single developer projects" but I'm wondering if is it worth to learn/use the Composite WPF framework for projects that normally involves two/three developers maximum during the entire development/support cycle... or would it actually affect productivity and rapid development in this case.

Thanks

Developer
Mar 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Hi,

Although a multiple-developer project is a scenario that makes great use of Prism’s capabilities, Prism provides other benefits apart from that one. You can find an explanation of the most common problems the Composite Application Guidance helps to address in this document. For guidance on whether Prism suits your project, you can check this document.

You can find some examples of the modularity, extensibility and reusability you gain by using Prism in the following threads:

In my opinion, using Prism could add value to your project since, for example, it helps you maintain different aspects of the development more isolated, which reduces the risk of issues in one section from spreading and halting the development of your entire application. Also, the extensibility you gain from following the Composite approach might be of help if your application grows bigger and more complex. The aforementioned benefits have the potential to boost productivity regardless of the size of the team involved in the development.

I hope you find this answer helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi