Faster shell loading

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 4
Jun 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I have used the Prism approach to build my application and its working very well, the only thing that’s bothering me is my inability to get my Application to load faster. Here is what im all about:

To simplify lets say my application has these 3 projects : My Shell, module1 and module2, my shell is a screen only with links to module1 and module2 witch loads as new pages. Module1 has a range of controls lets say from the Silverlight Toolkit, like graphs etc.. Module2 also has controls lets say from teleric.

I have my application utilizing the “Reduce XAP size by using application library caching” so these controls gets cashed when the app first loads witch is great, my problem however is that all these controls loads when the shell loads because all the controls is referenced in the shell project otherwise the controls don’t work in Module1 or Module2.

My Question is: is there a way to load these controls(“Assemblies”) when Module1 or 2 is requested rather than when the shell loads, this will give the impression of a much faster application because then the shell has no controls to load.

Thank you for any insight.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:30 AM

Nice to hear that you use Prism. I think that you would like to know that this concept is managed in Prism by loading modules on demand and it has a section in the documentation, so you can take a look here.

By the way, this topic was also treated in the following forum threads:

Additionally, there is a modularity Quickstart. so you could check this here.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Hi worsHound,

I have the same requirement.  I'm not sure that fantivero has answered your question entirely?  It is not loading modules on demand we require, it's downloading and caching the module's external parts (zips) on demand.  At present it's only the shell's external parts that get downloaded and cached.

This might help...