Evaluating PRISM for Application (WPF)

Topics: Prism v2 - WPF 3.5
Jul 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Hey all.

I'm getting ready to choose/evaluate various frameworks/approaches for a corporate application (hence the need to stay in 3.5) and it looks like PRISM would be a good fit. Let me give a quick overview of the application. It would use a standard shell, have a navigation page, an "Assistance" page and then a main content window where users are essentially filling out a survey.

The survey itself is configurable so there would be "Manager" objects that contain the details on each one. A single page would contain multiple query modules that might interact, depending on the choices made.  When a user moves to a new page, an Public Event would fire that would save the data and also send notifications to the Nav and Assistance pages as needed.

All actual updating is managed by these Manager objects which would likely reside in the main Shell, although it sounds like it could be called manually within each module. 

Based on the above and what I've been reading, PRISM sounds ideally suited for this. Does anyone foresee any gotchas based on the above description?

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Nice to hear that you could start using Prism. As for your requirements/specs, Prism could help you in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, it seems that you performed a complete analysis on this, so from my side I want share with you some main assets in Prism that might help you:

Additionally, the Quickstarts and the Reference Implementation are your friends.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM
fantivero wrote: you could check UI Composition.

Additionally, the Quickstarts and the Reference Implementation are your friends.

The reference implementation is not particularly friendly for anyone starting out and I'm not even sure it's friendly for a person with a lot of experience. As examples go I have found it to be far to big and complicated. Why not just break it up into some small applications. Is there a need to demonstrate so much complexity in the one application? I've a feeling the RI is one of those applications where the only person that really understands it all is the guy that wrote it.

Quickstarts are my friends. Small, to the point and easy to follow.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for the thoughts Fernando and Richard. While I like the reference implementation for a full concept, I agree it would be nice to have individual ideas.

In my application, I'm going to have to pull apart the RI for samples with Menus and toolbars and the like.

One of the key concepts in this application will be multi-lingual support. My thought right now is to trigger an event at the highest level and then have it tunnel down to every possible component that supports it.

Does that sound like it will work? Or am I possibly missing a better solution?

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM
I was able to find some useful sample templates over on CodeProject for menus and the like. Hopefully they will fit in nicely.