Performance problems with AnimatedTabControl in another app

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Hi,

I've downloaded Prism4 drop8. Take AnimatedTabControl with its dependencies from StockTrader RI and put into my app. It works fine. And it's really cool!

But then I've noticed very high cpu usage in idle time in my app. I saw 25% on a machine with X800XL Radeon, 50% on a machine with some poor intel GPU. I've checked RI example and saw no such behavior in it. If I replace AnimatedTabControl with TabControl then CPU usage goes.

I understand that the question is hardly related to Prism and that AnimatedTabControl is just an example for RI app. That's clear, but may somebody have an idea what can I to check.

In Process Explorer I see a thread which consume all CPU is "wpfgfx_v0400.dll!MILQueryInterface"

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reporting that. I think that you can find interesting the following links:

On the other hand, Storyboard, AnimationTimeline and AnimationClock allows you to indicate the HandoffBehavior and in some cases it might cause a performance issue. For more information on how to avoid performance issues, you could take a look at the following documentation section:

If you have more questions about performance issues in WPF, you could also use the WPF forum.

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero 
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Hi, thanks for your help!

Yeah, I went WPFPerf path. I found out that all CPU was eaten by wpf render thread because of high rate of dirty rectangels per second.

Digging depper I found an animation with Visibility "Hidden". When I changed it to "Colapsed" CPU consuming goes away.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Hi,

Nice to see that you found it and thanks for sharing this with the rest of the community, since it might help other users with a similar scenario.

Let us know if you any other question.

Fernando Antivero 
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero