DevExpress vs Infragistics vs Other (wrt Prism)

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Jan 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I am currently in the planning stages of a project and would like to head down the WPF + Prism route with it.

There is (thankfully) budget for a control set to be bought and so I was wondering what peoples experience with the popular ones out there was?

I once used a few DevExpress controls with WPF and found a few things difficult to do (and ended up writing code-behind hacks to sort out situations where binding wasn't possible). That being said, I did like DevExpress and would be happy to use it again (plus this was a year ago now - I haven't touched .NET/wpf since unfortunately and so I might be a bit out of date on this). 

DevExpress & Infragistics both provide fancy UI layout controls and docking managers and I was wondering how well this works with some of the Prism ideas like regions? Can I build a nice base application using their docking managers and then write modules that load their screens into them easily enough?

What are your experiences with these tools and can you recommend others that are worth me looking at?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Hi David,

You might find the following resources here and in the DevExpress and Infragistics sites useful to learn about some known issues and community users' experiences with such controls in Prism:

You could also create threads in their respective forums to find out to what extent they provide support for Prism.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Thank you, I will do as you say and post in the respective forums as well.

However, if anyone has experience with working with both (or other) controls, I would still appreciate any advice they can give.