How do you bind a command to a ListViewItem?

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM
Okay, maybe not a question for Composite WPF and more of a general WPF question, but I've found this is the place where most are using the DataTemplate method and thought someone else might have solved this.

If I have a DataTemplate in a resource file, how in the world do you bind the double click to either the list box itself or the list box item?

First I thought I could do something like

<ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding Path=Items}">
                        Command="{x:Static v:ModuleCommands.ItemDoubleClickedCommand}"

But the event doesn't get fired when I double click an item, just the control itself.

Then I thought about creating a data template for the actual item, but that doesn't work either because you can't create input bindings for a DataTemplate itself.

Now I've just discovered DataTemplate.Triggers, maybe I should be looking more towards this instead?

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Okay, still not there, but this is the best I've got so far:

<DataTemplate x:Key="xTmpl">
        <ListBoxItem Content="{Binding .}"
                <MouseBinding Command="{x:Static v:ModuleCommands.ItemDoubleClickedCommand}"
    <DataTemplate DataType="{x:Type v:ListBoxModuleItem}">
            <ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding Items}"
                     ItemTemplate="{StaticResource xTmpl}">

I do have a couple of problems however.

1). I can't bind within an input binding, I want to bind the CommandParamater to Self but that's not working.
2). My ListBoxItem isn't the width of the list box itself, is this an oversight on my behalf? Have I done something wrong there?

I tried a trick where I put a Button into the item template and used the "Command" and "CommandParameter" properties with a completely restyled button, this works, however it gets fired whenever I click once on an item, which is not the desired behaviour. Replace the <ListViewItem> in the above with the following to see what I've done:

<Button Command="{x:Static v:ModuleCommands.ItemDoubleClickedCommand}"
                CommandParameter="{Binding .}">
                        Content="{Binding .}"/>

Can anyone tell me if I'm heading even remotely close to the right direction? I'm starting to think that DataTemplate's are a hell of a lot of work where you need to capture events or commands and it may just be much easier to stick to UserControl's. What is everyones take on this?

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:25 AM
Hi Brett,

This problem stems from the fact that ListViewItem does not implement the ICommandSource interface (which in all honestly just plain sucks). Kent Boogaart has a solution to this issue, detailed here. It's the best solution I could find to this exact same problem.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Hello Brett,

This really is not a Prism issue, but I understand your obstacle. I resolved this issue by implementing my own custom ListBoxItem.

public class SampleListBoxItem : ListBoxItem
    public static readonly DependencyProperty MouseDoubleClickCommandProperty =
      DependencyProperty.Register("MouseDoubleClickCommand", typeof(ICommand), typeof(SampleListBoxItem));

public static readonly DependencyProperty MouseDoubleClickCommandParameterProperty =
      DependencyProperty.Register("MouseDoubleClickCommandParameter", typeof(object), typeof(SampleListBoxItem));

protected override void OnMouseDoubleClick(MouseButtonEventArgs e)

if (MouseDoubleClickCommand != null)

public ICommand MouseDoubleClickCommand
      get { return (ICommand) GetValue(MouseDoubleClickCommandProperty); }
      set { SetValue(MouseDoubleClickCommandProperty, value); }

public object MouseDoubleClickCommandParameter
      get { return GetValue(MouseDoubleClickCommandParameterProperty); }
      set { SetValue(MouseDoubleClickCommandParameterProperty, value); }

I did this so that I can create my own binding implementation. This will allow me to send a parameter value when the command is executed.

Title="Shell4" Height="300" Width="300"
    <DataTemplate x:Key="xTmpl">
        Content="{Binding DisplayName}"
        MouseDoubleClickCommand="{Binding ItemDoubleClickedCommand, ElementName=root}"
        MouseDoubleClickCommandParameter="{Binding DisplayName}"
  <DockPanel DataContext="{Binding ElementName=root}">
    <ListBox ItemsSource="{Binding Items}" ItemTemplate="{StaticResource xTmpl}">

I also moved the command into the Window for ease of sampling; DelegateCommand could live anywhere as long as you have access to it. The Items property and a custom data model I will leave up to you.

using System.Collections;
  using System.Windows;
  using System.Windows.Controls;
  using System.Windows.Input;
  using Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Wpf.Commands;

/// <summary>
  /// Interaction logic for Shell4.xaml
  /// </summary>
  public partial class Shell4 : Window
    public Shell4()
      ItemDoubleClickedCommand = new DelegateCommand<object>(ExecuteCommand); // Initialize command

public DelegateCommand<object> ItemDoubleClickedCommand { get; set; }

public IEnumerable Items
      get { return ItemDisplayCollection.GetItems(); } // Implement items retrieval

void ExecuteCommand(object value)
      var message = "Value is {0}";
      MessageBox.Show(string.Format(message, value ?? "null"));   

This is just an approach, and possibly not the final implementation of a solution, but serves as a good starting point.

Hopes this helps,

Andres Olivares

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM
There is a far easier approach to address this issue that lets you bind to InputBindings directly.

Try this: