Using a DockManager in a Region

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Hi guys,

firstly, congrats on the release. Great effort and truly appreciated.

My question is around implementing a DockManager inside a region. Do you have any recommendations on how to do this? My initial thoughts are to register the DockManager as a Infrastructure service and fix it to a region which is not available unless you use the DockManager Service.

Any pointers welcomed.

Cheers,
Thor.
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM
I haven't tried this but could you simply create a common model that exposes a dock location that can then be bound to from the UI? This approach has been done for the UI Composition sample using tab controls, in essence the concept is the same, TabItem needs a "Header" to bind to, you just need to DockLocation :)

I don't think you could simply register a region manager into a dock panel, you'll need to create a content control that has a DataTemplate that uses a DockPanel to lay out your controls. I coud be very wrong, but this is what I'd try first.

-Brett.
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM
I see the example you're referring to. I'll give that a go and see how it pans out. It feels like the right approach too.

Cheers,
Thor.

brettryan wrote:
I haven't tried this but could you simply create a common model that exposes a dock location that can then be bound to from the UI? This approach has been done for the UI Composition sample using tab controls, in essence the concept is the same, TabItem needs a "Header" to bind to, you just need to DockLocation :)

I don't think you could simply register a region manager into a dock panel, you'll need to create a content control that has a DataTemplate that uses a DockPanel to lay out your controls. I coud be very wrong, but this is what I'd try first.

-Brett.