Visual Studio Shell

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM
I am looking for a Visual Studio like shell for the Composit WPF. Is there any work being done regarding the shell simulating the Visual Studio layout? 
Aug 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Hi romanr, have you seen the Contrib project?  http://www.codeplex.com/CompositeWPFContrib 

Havn't seen anything in regards to a Visual Studio like shell but they're doing some interesting stuff in the Contrib project :)

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:50 AM
Hi romanr,

I like the idea to have some generic shells available for developers as a startingpoint for their new composite WPF application.
A visual studio like shell sure is one that fits into this category.

At the moment we have a region adapter for the Infragistics TabGroupPane control, which makes it possible to create a shell
that has the same docking features as visual studio. I can recommend that you check out the composite WPF contrib project and try that control out.
Aug 19, 2008 at 5:20 AM
Chapter 6 of WPF Unleashed (pg 179), by Adam Nathan, provides the code and explanation for "Creating a Visual Studio Like Collapsible, Dockable, Resizable Pane".   Very impressive usage of XAML with little code-behind.  I trust this book coupled with the Contrib project will get you what your looking for.   This is an EXCELLENT book by the way.
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Composite WPF itself has nothing to do with the VS layout style. I would recommend to buy a serious library that supports docking and tabbed mdi and adapt it. For now it is: Infragistics, Syncfusion, Actipro. I believe in a few monthes all of the control library vendors will come up with VS style support in WPF.
Aug 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM
I would add "buyer beware", whatever product you are going to purchase google it for a minimum of "memory leak".  Be particularly aware of the support sections responses to the average joe's questions (as it could be you next).  I learned the hard way that not everything that shines works as it should (like we don't already have enough on our plates); fortunately WPF is going to give us enough power to do it ourselves.