Deployment issues with third party controls

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
May 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM

As we are using plug-in Based Architecture(PRISM) so we have multiple modules in our shell, we have used Infragistics controls (for WPF) in veiws of all the modules.

We are facing 2 issues: 

1. If we update the Infragistics version we have to compile all the modules in order to use the updated version (We don’t want our module to re-compile for updation of version).

2. Suppose we have multiple modules loaded in a shell and all those modules are using Infragistics version x.xx, and we add a new module that is using Infragistics version y.yy. If we run the application, it crashes b/c of two separate versions of Infragistics being used among the modules.

Any suggestion about this scenario ?

May 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Edited May 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Regarding you first issue, based on my understanding, by default, when you run the application, the runtime attempts to bind with the exact version of an assembly that the module was built with.

You could find more information about this in the following MSDN article:

Take into account that, as far as I know, currently Prism does not provide guidance on how to achieve changing your referenced assembly version without recompiling the module's assembly.

Also, I believe you could find the following links interesting:

Regarding, your second concern, you will have to avoid having two separate versions of the same dll. For example you could ensure that this common dll is in only one location (e.g. setting Copy Local = False and placing the dll in the application folder), this way when you update the application you will replace your assembly with your new one, although you will still have to solve the first issue you mentioned.

Agustin Adami

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Thanks aadami,

Actually here the problem is that if we use old version of Infragistics in previous module and we are going to load the module having updated version of infragistics, (Here the problem is b/c of strong name Assemblies, Cant just replace old assembly with new one),

Hope this explanation clear the problem,

Any other suggestions ? 

Kashif Mujeeb 

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hi Kashif,

As far as I know, in order to achieve this scenario you will have to recompile the project, referencing the new assembly. However, take into account that, as this is not strictly related to the guidance provided by Prism, I believe you could find better support about this kind of scenarios, for example in the .NET Framework Forums, where similar discussions can be found (e.g. this one).

Agustin Adami