PrismV2 Drop 3 Silverlight - Remote Module is not loaded when external assembly reference is missing

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:13 AM
Edited Oct 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Remote module is not getting loaded or error rose when ModuleManifest.xaml contains a reference to external assembly that is not available on remote module project. Current drop 3 does not even raise Application_UnhandledException and therefore you wont even see anything wrong as its not raised to ReportErrorToDOM.

I verified this behavior on RemoteModuleLoading sample and I was able to reproduce this when I changed ModuleManifest.xaml and added one assembly that is not available on the remote module. See the example config below. In this sample I added AssemblyPart ModuleZ.UIControls.dll to reproduce this behaviour.

Is there any way to tide up this and get more accurate indication when statically referenced assembly is not available on module but referenced on Module deployment? I spend some time for tracking down why one of the module did not get loaded, and after some profound debug sessions and midnight hours I realized the problem. Anyhow when module is not getting loaded this missing reference to module deployment is not obvious.

<Modularity:ModuleDeployment
     xmlns=http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation
     xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml
    xmlns:Modularity="clr-namespace:Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Modularity;assembly=Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Silverlight">  
     <Modularity:ModuleDeployment.Parts>
          <AssemblyPart Source="ModuleZ.Silverlight.dll" />
          <AssemblyPart Source="ModuleZ.UIControls.dll" />
      </Modularity:ModuleDeployment.Parts>
</Modularity:ModuleDeployment>

Regards,
Alexander

Developer
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM
Thanks Alexander,

I have entered this into our bug list.

Larry Prism Test Lead
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM
Edited Oct 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM
No problem, there is also another bug related module loading, see the discussion item [discussion:37975]
Regards,
Alexander