Stock Trader RI - question

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM
   I've been digging through the code for the Stock Trader.
   When I run it, it only seems to do a few things. I can add a stock to the watch list, and I can click on a stock in the position list view to view it's historical information.
   When I look through the code in the modules, there seems to be a lot more functionality in there, and it seem like the other buttons (Submit, Cancel, Submit All, Cancel All) should be getting enabled at some point as it seems like there's code for all of this.
    Is there something I'm missing from the perspective of the user of this application, or perhaps is some of this still being wired together?

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Hi Jeff,

The Composite Application Guidance for WPF and Silverlight includes the Reference Implementation solution that target both WPF and Silverlight technologies. While the WPF version is complete and fully functional, the Silverlight port of the Reference Implementation is still in progress.

Perhaps the following extract from the Prism v2 Drop 7 readme file might be useful to understand the current functional pieces of the Reference Implementation for Silverlight:

“The Silverlight version of the Reference Implementation for Silverlight is in Work-in-progress status.

Currently the following components were migrated to Silverlight:

- From the StockTraderRI.Modules.Position module: the PositionSummaryView view, the AccountPositionService service, the IOrdersController interface and the PositionGrid control.

- From the StockTraderRI.Modules.Market module: the MarketFeedService local service and TrendLineView”

(Source: From the Prism-v2 Drop 7 readme.txt file)

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
Dec 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Hey Damian,
  Thanks for the reply. This might be a pure usability issue, and not technical at all.
   I'm actually working with the WPF project, not the silverlight one. I went ahead and removed the silverlight project. I've also removed the test project, and then built (for me the build fails with the test projects perhaps because I don't have a team server, not sure). 
   The build succeeds and the app runs fine, but the only "active" button in the MainToolbarRegion is the "Add To Watchlist" button.
   I first tried adding any stock name, which didn't do anything, then tried one similar to the others in the list (such as STOCK1) and then I was able to add it to the watch list, however, at no point do any of the other buttons become active. Perhaps I'm just missing something about how to use the demo.
   I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had luck running this.
   I'm using the one from code drop 7.
Dec 11, 2008 at 12:15 AM
I messed around with this some more and it did just turn out to be a usability issue for me.
I didn't realize that you need to right click the items in the list to be able to buy / sell.