PrismV2Source.exe will not install on Vista

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:05 PM
I have to use my XP machine to run the .exe and extract the files.  On Vista the .exe will start running, some files are extracted, and then I get this error:

Microsoft Console Based Script Host has stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BEX
  Application Name:    cscript.exe
  Application Version:
  Application Timestamp:    48235878
  Fault Module Name:    MSVCR80.dll
  Fault Module Version:    8.0.50727.3053
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4889d619
  Exception Offset:    0003c02c
  Exception Code:    c000000d
  Exception Data:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.0.6001.
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    b1dd
  Additional Information 2:    b4fca7c5c44378310009580daec6e854
  Additional Information 3:    5434
  Additional Information 4:    10c94e9b195a207b217c86c11185857f

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:26 PM

This error maybe related to the max path name, and its worth to try if this problem exists when you extracting it directly to (“C:\prism” for example) directory.  The file path name size (including the names of files) limit is 254 characters of total, and this error come up surface differently based on platforms and service packs.  Did you possible try this already?


Dec 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, extracting to c:\prism did not work and resulted in the same error.  I'm using Vista x64 with SP1.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Hi richstep,  I am using Vista x64, SP1 for my development environment and have not encountered any issues (for folks considering the upgrade).   I heard some horror stories and was hesitant.  I stripped Vista Home edition off for Vista Ultimate and would have stayed with 32bit, but my new HP TouchSmart wouldn't support it (missing 32bit drivers for LAN).  I have not been disappointed (yet).

Have you tried turning the UAC off?  Control Panel | User Accounts | Turn User Account Control on or off (toggle); perhaps this will be something to try.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:35 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM

I also have both x64 and x32 vista ultimate and two others in virtual and have no problem at all.  I did a quick look around in different resources and I found couple of tips you can try.

1.       Some cases cscripts.exe is stopped by Vista edition of Virus protection programs. Some of them work in XP edition differently than in Vista. Try to turn off your virus protection for this and see if that helps. If it does look for an update from your virus protection provider. Before you turn it off run full virus scan as MSVCR80.dll (C runtime library) on your platform could be included or replaced by some of your previus installations and could contain a virus.

2. Do you have all windows updates applied to your platform? There are some KB articles related to cscript.exe and BEX error event that are reported after SP1, for example this error (a different exception code) is expected when the language locale that you configured differs from the language of the operating system installed.


Dec 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Do you have VS2005 and VS2008 both installed? There are reported cases to this error when VS2005 and VS2008 are installed together but VS2005 service packs where not applied accordingly.

I think easiest is to go around on this environmental problem by manual extraction.

Rename PrismV2.exe to and extract this zip file of your choice. 

You will find three (3) below extracted items: (this is the source code)
ExtractSourceZip.vbs (cscript extension )
Installerlaucher.cmd (calls Windows Script Host)

If you want to see furthermore where your problem is then

Open CMD in elevated mode (Run by Administrator)
And go to you extraction directory where you have above 3 items

Type “cscript ExtractSourceZip.vbs /W /D /I”

When it fails it will launch debugger which helps you to figure out more of the problem on your environment but i bet its one of the possible cause I mention previusly.


Dec 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I had the same error.  When it prompted me to debug or not I said yes and noticed that the last thing apparently going on was a bunch of security modules being loaded.  These included Windows Defender and several AVG (my antivirus vendor of choice).  I couldn't find a way to disable AVG so, after unplugging my network cable, I uninstalled it.  I reran the install and while it didn't give me a 'Finished' message, it did appear to complete.  I haven't gotten any further yet.

Perhaps someone who is a bit more Security savy would be able to explain what's going on.


Dec 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM


I assume that you have x64 edition of Vista…

It seems that this issue is related to protection programs if the stack list is related to Windows Defener and AVG.

You should only use one protection provider per platform. Using multiple increases workload and can cause confusion between each other. Most 3<sup>rd</sup> party anti-virus programs turns off windows defender when 3<sup>rd</sup> party provider is installed, or at least my McAfee does it.  If AVG doesn’t do it, you should disable Windows Defener in Control Panel.

Begin of my x64 vista edition journey I had a lot of problems with McAfee Virus Protection until they made the x64 engine working correctly. I often encountered wired errors while installing or using the software on x64 edition with McAfee.  As I also have x32 environment I often saw that the error was only encountered in x64 edition and stack was always pointing to McAfee. 

Anyhow, my recommendation is that you first install your antivirus program again, check AVG if they have any updates for x64 edition available, and then turn off Windows Defender.

If this does not help you need to raise a support request and follow the support guidelines of your anti-virus provider.

Let me know if disabling the Windows Defender solved the problem.