Roadmap

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 2
Jan 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM
When do we get a beta of the prism framework? and what is missing in the framework before we get there?

It would be nice to freeze the framework for a while, and concentrate on documentation and more real-world examples.

I would like to se examples with.

- more than one page.
- handling transaction on data commit from multiply views on the same page.
- Guidens on navigation and how to set up a menu in Prism.

I am working in a team that has just started building a very large Silverlight application and we really need some guidens on how to build the infra structure of the application.

Any help would be must appreciated
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM
>>more than one page.

You can check how to use Region Manager.

>>- handling transaction on data commit from multiply views on the same page.

You can use Event Aggregator to notify the "Save Command" or maybe, you can try the Global Command too. But in our cases, we used to use Event Aggregator only ..

>>- Guidens on navigation and how to set up a menu in Prism.

You will need a third-part menu control if you want to have a menu in your Silverlight Prism project.. We are currently using Telerik Silverlight Menu with Prism vs2 and it's working great..  Again, if you have good understanding about Region then you should be able to do it.

>>I am working in a team that has just started building a very large Silverlight application and we really need some guidens on how to build the infra structure of the application.

We are actively using Prism v2 in our real project since drop 5. We are going to release our project around Feb. I hope that Prism v2 will be released at this time. I'm not sure what kinda guidence you need to build the infrastructure. You just need to put everything that you want to share within modules in infrastruture. For example: RegionName (MainRegion or Menu Region or etc)

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:11 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Hi

No official roadmap has been published for Prism-v2. However, the approximate release date for Prism-v2 is by mid February (as Bob Brumfield said in this post) . As for using the code base as starting point for a new project, you should have no problems because all namespaces from Composite Application Guidance for WPF are already migrated in the latest drop. So, as long as you are willing to make some small updates to your code with the new drops, there should be no problem with starting your application.

The Stock Trader Reference Implementation might also give you a good idea on what you will be able to do with the latest drop.

You may also find the following post interesting:

·         Scope for Prism 2.0 (by Blaine Wastell, P&P Program Manager)

If you consider your suggestions for the documentation could be useful for the community you could create a WorkItem in the IssueTracker so people can vote for it and it might be taken into account for a future drop.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman

http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman