Ribbon missing in wpf application in VS2012

Topics: Prism v4 - WPF 4
Aug 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I am trying to follow the on-line link tutorial/example on Prism which uses Ribbon as part of composite application. For some reason I am getting errors and can not get a Ribbon namespace in C# classes. I've downloaded and installed "Microsoft Ribbon for WPF October 2010" but it didn't help.

Can anyone suggest please how to get Ribbon Libraries in my WPF Prism project ?

Thank you
Aug 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

In order to be able to use Ribbon on Visual Studio 2012 and WPF, you will first need to download and install Microsoft Ribbon for WPF October 2010 like you already did. Then, you first need to reference the RibbonControlsLibrary assembly located in the installation folder from your project. Finally, to use it in XAML or code behind you will need to refer to the Microsoft.Windows.Controls.Ribbon, like the following:

• XAML
  • C#
using Microsoft.Windows.Controls.Ribbon;
Hope this helps,

Federico Martinez
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Thank you for your reply Federico,

When I run "Microsoft Ribbon for WPF Source and Samples" Windows Installer Package, it seems that installs it but I can't find where. So no files or assemblies are created. And no namespace for "Microsoft.Windows.Controls.Ribbon" can be resolved within VS2012. I don't know whether this has to do with x64 platform.

I also read on another forum that Ribbon should be in VS2012 with .Net 4.5 framework and no additional installation needed. But either way I still can't get it work.
Aug 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

As you correctly pointed out, the install location is not clear. Nevertheless, I found that the default install location where you can find the RibbonControlLibrary.dll assembly should be one of the following depending on your operating system platform:

• For x86 systems:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Ribbon for WPF\V4.0

• For x64 systems:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Ribbon for WPF\V4.0

Hope this helps,

Federico Martinez
Aug 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Thanks Federico, that's correct. I found it there. I also realised that I could include from the project example that I am using it. I still don't understand, the RibbonControlsLibrary.dll" library is for 3.5 or 4.0 .net frameworks which were offered by Microsoft in October 2010. That this mean that VS2012 and .Net 4.5 should include the Ribbon by default and we should have WPF Ribbon Project Templates available in VS2012 ?
Aug 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Regarding your question about the Visual Studio's project templates for Ribbon, I believe you could find a better support in the Visual Studio forums.

Federico Martinez
Aug 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
That's absolutely fine, I will.
Thanks for your help and replies.