HelloWorld

Topics: Prism v1, Prism v2 - WPF 3.5
Apr 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM
Hi everyone.
I've recently started learning/using cal and got in trouble with Unity containers.
Here is a pretty good helloworld for starting with cal. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458867.aspx
But i'd like to see more :) I've been trying for about a week, but couldn't find any simple sample:(
 Imagine, i'm building a composite application, which contains:
-Shell
-Module, which receives some data(serialport for example)
-several separate modules(one for ex:)), which depend on the the first one, (but do not directly reference it), and present its data in their own ways.

Can anyone show me, how to make 2 modules interact with each other? I'm sure the code is simple, but i cant get it myself.
Thank you.
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Hi Portland,

Great that you started using CAL!

Composite Application Guidance comes with a lot of Quickstarts similar to the HelloWorld you mention, that each show a key concept of CAL.  These QuickStarts are an ideal starting point.

You will find the code for these quickstarts in the Composite Application Guidance installer that can be downloaded from here.

Quickstarts:

·         Modularity QuickStarts

·         View Discovery Composition QuickStart and View Injection Composition QuickStart. 

·         Commanding QuickStart. 

·         Event Aggregation QuickStart. 

·         Multi-Targeting QuickStart.

As you go through the quick starts you can read the more specific and in-depth information in the Design Concepts and Technical Concepts sections of the documentation.

You might also find the following videos interesting:

·         What is Prism v2?

·         Creating a modular application using Prism V2 - Screencast 1/4 : Creating a shell and modules

Regarding the communication and interaction between two uncoupled modules will might find particularly useful the Communication Technical Concept and  the  Modularity and Event Aggregation QuickStarts. Regarding Unity containers you might find useful the Container design concept and the Unity Application Block documentation that can be separately downloaded from here.             

Hope all this information helps!

If you have any further doubts please let us know.

Matias Bonaventura

http://blogs.southworks.net/matiasb

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM
H1, matiasbonaventura!

The links you posted are nothing new to me... Except that fact, that i haven't watched videos and haven't worked with samples from cal=)) I've completely forgot about them.
 I ll continue my exploring withy the samples.
Thanks.