Debugging Silverlight XAP-based Modules

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 2
May 17, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Edited May 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I am developing a Module to run within an existing Prism 2 based Silverlight application.  The only source code that I have access to is the Module I am developing which is compiled into a XAP that is then published into the ClientBin folder.  The Module is registered within a ModuleConfiguration.xaml file and the Application will load the modules within the XAP file.

I can run and execute the Module within the Application just fine, but when I try to attach the Visual Studio debugger to IE process using the Silverlight code, I can never get the breakpoints to become active. 

I've seen another post here about this issue with no followups,

I could really use some guidance around this scenario otherwise, I don't see a feasible means to debug my application.

Thanks in advance.

May 17, 2009 at 6:11 AM

err, sometimes it takes a trip to the coffee shop to clear your mind.

I wasn't attaching my instance of Visual Studio to the correct instance of IE.  There are two instances listed here.  The one with type "x86" has a title that matches the page that is running the Silverlight application.  The other with the type, "Silverlight, x86", has no title, but when I attach to this process, I can now debug my module.