Installation Issue

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 3
Nov 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Hi,

I am trying to install the October 09 release but am having an issue.  When I run it it just tells me it is extracting Source.zip but doesn;t tell me or ask me where and I have tried searching for known files but I can;t find anything.  I haven;t installed it before so this should be a fresh install.

Has anyone experience this issue and resolved it?

James.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hi James,

The Prism October 2009 self extractable file shows an extracting message before letting you choose the directory where the files should be placed. Afterwards it lets you choose a directory and when you select the directory it copies the files to it.

Since its release, I have used it with no problems in the following operating systems:

• Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows Server 2008

To workaround this you could try the following:

1. Change the extension of the CompositeApplicationGuidance-Oct2009.exe file to .zip.
  2. Open or extract the files in the .zip file. You should find a file named Source.zip.
  3. Extract the Source.zip file in the location desired.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the VERY late reply.  I have since got a new machine (Windows 7) and I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I "unblocked" the downloaded file incase that made a difference but to no avail.  I managed to open the file in WinRar and noticed what the install uses a VBS file.  For security reasons VBS extensions are disassociated on out corporate machines hence why it never asked for a destination folder.

Thanks for your help

James.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:11 AM
kouphax wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the VERY late reply.  I have since got a new machine (Windows 7) and I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I "unblocked" the downloaded file incase that made a difference but to no avail.  I managed to open the file in WinRar and noticed what the install uses a VBS file.  For security reasons VBS extensions are disassociated on out corporate machines hence why it never asked for a destination folder.

Thanks for your help

James.

Have exactly the same issue on Windows 7 - with both the 2.2 release and also the PRISM 4 drops.

Craig.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

The self extracting zips we use internally run a VBS script. If VBS is disabled, then it can't run.  In the short term, I'd use the above suggestion or run things on a computer that is not locked down and use a usb drive or email to transfer the results over.

I will look at what the script is doing and see if we can replace it with a batch script instead, but I can't make any promises.

Of course, depending on a number of factors, the deployment mechanism may change from a self-extracting exe to an MSI or something else before we ship the final version.

Thanks for the feedback,

Michael Puleio

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Hi guys,

In addtion to the Michael's answer, I think that something similar to this has been tracked in the KB as known issue some weeks ago. Basically, this problem occurs when a non-default shell handler is enabled for zip files that does not support a folder view of the content, for example PKZip.

Therefore you could check this article in the KB for finding a workaround.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fernando Antivero
http://blogs.southworks.net/fantivero

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM

hi,  we tried the work around suggested but it doesn't work for our team.  Possible to post simple compressed version of the releases?  Re-naming the exe to zip used to work in older version but with 4.0 we can't install the app.  We are using windows xp in our team.  Thanks.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Hi,

I installed Prism 4 in XP SP2 (x86) and found no issues. In my box, I am using Compressed (zipped) Folders to open these files. You can see how my folder options are configured below:

Have you tried to install this in a different machine? Could you please share you configuration environment?

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM

we are running xp sp3.  we do have pkzip installed and i've tried the above solution but did not work.  We have a team of about 6 and it didn't work for 2 other dev also.  Oddly installation doesn't give an exception but it skips option to select the folder to unzip to and the installation ends with successful completion message.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Hi,

Based on my understanding, you have installed pkzip in your box. You tried to configure Compressed (zipped) Folder as the default handler instead of a PKZip, but you are not able to install Prism 4 though.

That said, I think that you can find the following forum thread and post interesting:

Hope this helps.

Fernando Antivero

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Will try the above and let you know.  just a suggestion, we are trying to promote prism to wider audience but doesn't give a positive first impression when the installation is not straight forward.  fyi, we work for a very large corporation and lot of corps like ours probably are using tools such as pkzip.   Wondering if you thought about either another alternative to current installation or changing it?  Thanks for the quick replies.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I will copy this as a work-item, so the product team will be notified. Additionally, I think that you can find the following work-item interesting, since the product team is currently working on this:

If you need more information about NuGet, you could take a look at the following codeplex site: http://nuget.codeplex.com/

Thanks again.

Fernando Antivero

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.