Assembly cacheing for next release of Prism?

Topics: Prism v2 - Silverlight 3
Jan 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM

The Silverlight Toolkit is now shipping with the extmap.xml files necessary to support assembly cacheing - is this something that can be done for Prism as well? Including Prism in the main shell XAP adds about 120kb, which isn't much, but it is a lot when your total XAP size is only 300kb. I wouldn't worry about it too much if they could at least be cached across multiple Silverlight apps, but currently I'm turning a 180kb XAP into a 300kb XAP to include Prism (it seems Unity is the biggest size culprit). This becomes a bigger issue when you are pushing out daily builds of the main XAP so that the browser's cacheing of the main XAP can never occur - having the Prism XAPs external to the main XAP could help out a good bit in that instance.

Thanks for the consideration!

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Hi

If you believe this would be a good addition in Prism’s next version you can create a new item in the Issue Tracker. This way people can vote for it an it might be taken into account by the team. In the meantime you can check this article from the Silverlight 3 documentation which explains How to: Use Application Library Caching with your own assemblies.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM

thanks for the suggestion, just did it.